Friday, May 9, 2008

Lesson Learned Emotional Banking

On Wednesday I had workshop that I attended off school campus. During the training one of the instructors asked if we had ever heard of the emotional banking system. Ok, I must say I found this a little odd until she explained what it was. Here is the explanation of emotional banking.

Like in a real banking situation you are making deposits and withdraws but in a different way and definitely not using money. This is dealing with students (people). Before you can ever make a withdraw you have to invest in the student or person. Be encouraging, be kind, share kind words, and be a positive influence f or them. THe withdraw is explaining life lessons or maybe you don't agree with some thing they did or just letting them know they are wrong. Once I realized what she was talking about I understood and it all made sense to me. This is how I want to be with my students at work as well as at church. I want to make investments in their lives so that when some things develops (and it will) I have the relationship that will allow me to be real with the students. I want my students to know that I care about them and want to see them succeed in what ever they are doing. ( as long as it is legal)

How are you investing in the lives of those around you? I challenge those reading this to practice this emotional banking system and let me know how it works. You will have a different relationship with the people you come in contact with whether it be from teaching, pastoring, parenting, marriage, dating, and all other friendships developed. I look forward to hearing how you have experienced emotional banking.

No comments: