Sunday, May 25, 2008

Distraught Teacher

As most of you who read this know that I teacher high school students and then go to an after school program at an elementary school where I have second grade. Well, Friday after a while of being outside playing on the playground we decided to go inside and watch a movie. Not long after we had been inside my sister (who is the after school director also 5th grade teacher) came and pulled me into the teacher's lounge and this is what was said to me. "The cops are here as well as DCF doing an investigation on one of your second graders, she made a comment to her teacher that her Dad had beat her and so she called DCF this moring and now they are here." At that point I started to cry and my heart sunk for this child. I dont understand any of this. The next thing I know is that I was pulled into the office and questioned on things that I had noticed with the child which wasnt much. When I first walked down there I thought I cant do this, then I ask God to control the tears and emotions that I was feeling because if this was true action needed to be taken and quickly. As I was talking to the cop before I ever answered I think he could tell that I was a little upset about the situation; he says to be "I am not here to intimadate you or put words into your mouth we just want to know if you have noticed anything out of the ordinary." I felt better at that point. I know that every once in a while children do things to where they need to be punished but I saw a different side to punishiment this past week. I have heard about how children get beat and never really thought twice about it. As a teacher I never thought I would have to have dealt with this first hand either. I am the type of person that likes to fix things when they are broken or when some thing is wrong but there was nothing that I could do. My heart broke for this child once I heard later all the details. I pray that God will intervine and take care of this child. I dont know what else to say except please pray for this child and the family. There are two other children and pray as well that the mother will get things straight and not let the man back in the house that beat the child.

God help me to have compassion for the children that I come in contact with everyday. Give me the will to have a love for them the way you love them.
"Great thing have yet to come and great things are still to be done in this city" For some reason this song has been on my mind since this took place. I also pray that maybe God would help to reach out the this women and encourage her to go to church or at least share the love of God with her. Thank you for reading.

No comments: