Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Words of Affirmation?

Well, if you know me you will understand what I mean when I say this, if you don't know me then I hope you understand what I am trying to say. I am not one to take compliments well. I don't always feel or believe what they say. Over the past few weeks at church people have been given me compliments and at times I don't know how to respond. It was recently that I realize how important words of affirmation are. We don't tell people enough how much we appreciate them, how nice they look, that they are doing a great job, or just a simple thank you. I could go with a list of affirming words that we don't share with others but I wont. I think one of the most important is telling people that you love them. I should know because this comes hard for me. Over a period of time (very long) I have heard people use these words to get what they want, to deceive, to make the other person feel something that really isn't there and I have always told myself that I wont say those words unless I truly mean them. Society uses them too flippantly. To the person who has been so kind to give me words of affirmation; you have no idea what this means to me, I appreciate it and you.

The next time you have an opportunity to tell someone that they look nice, have done a good job, that you love them, you appreciate them and so many other compliments we should give others. To my friends you have no idea what you mean to me, I appreciate all of you, each one has a special place in my heart. To my students you hold a special place in my heart as well and it is a privilege to be able to work with you.

No comments: