Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sunday Morinng Small Group Lesson

Sunday morning I was a little nervous about the lesson I was going to teach because I felt it was lacking in some areas. The title of the lesson was "Training to be Godly" and the passage was from I Timothy 4:7-10. I went back to the basics with spiritual training. I asked the girls what the first thing they did when they felt God calling them, we prayed. Then what did we do, we got into God's word. So, I talked to them about their prayer life and reference Matthew 6:5-13. I discussed a little about my QT over the last month and all the God was dealing with me about. I wanted the girls to see that prayer is such a vital part of our Christian life. The way we build relationships is by communicating and the way we are going to grow in our relationship with God is to communicate with him and trust him. The next part was talking to them about reading the word. I have had several girls tell me that they struggle with QT. At the end of the lesson I gave the girls a challenge and that was to pray for 21 days and get into the word. I also ended the time with prayer but in a different way. We usually take prayer requests and one of the adults pray but this time I wanted to give the girls a chance to pray. So I told them that we would take the last minutes of the time and pray, if led to pray out loud do so, if not silence is ok. Several of the girls prayed out loud.

Funny misunderstanding story. I had told the girls that God was telling me that I need to be more willing to do what he has called me to do. So I made the statement that where ever God sent me I would trust him to take me. A parent came up to me Sunday night at church and me that they were going to miss me and that her daughter was going to miss me. I was taken off guard. I did however laugh and said maybe God showed them that he was calling me to go somewhere but hadn't told me yet. LOL Not going any where yet, but you knows; only God does.

A challenge for you. QT and prayer time not right or not quality. Start in Psalms and read read. While reading ask God to show you something about yourself in these two areas. Then make a specific time in the day to pray.

No comments: